Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mission: Impossible 3

Say what you want about Tom Cruise, but when he wants to get some cool actors together for a Mission: Impossible movie, you know he can do it.
Honestly the cast is really what makes this movie awesome. And it is just that, awesome.
Here's the trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URD7yLgw9_M&feature=related

Whilst I'm mentioning how good the cast is, it's a disappointment that the story is a bit of a dud.



Here's the movie poster.
It's standard, but still it's a pretty cool one; seeing as it's 4 years old as I type this, and I still like the look of it.



As you can no doubt guess, Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) is back, accepting a mission which is once again impossible.
Tom Cruise knows what he has to bring to these movies to make them enjoyable and he doesn't disappoint for his third outing.



Luther (Ving Rhames) also returns for his third impossible mission, and again he's still as cool as he was in the first movie.
Until the very end scene when he arches his back, flipping his arms up in the air to hug Ethan Hunt. Boy did he look foolish, and boy did I crack up with laughter.



Owen Davian (Philip Seymour Hoffman) is the resident bad guy for this movie.
I'd only seen Hoffman once before this movie, which was in Owning Mahowny. As such I was expecting big things from him.
What I got from him was pretty much what I expected.



Keri Russell makes an appearance as an MIF agent, and she's pretty good.
She's the catalyst to the plot.



Although looking like this, how can anyone follow the plot?



Which brings me to my next point.
Declan (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) is a MIF agent working alongside Ethan Hunt....



But he also looks a lot like Musgrave (Billy Crudup).
Now when two actors look alike in a movie it always messes things up for me. I quickly lose track of the plot and spend the rest of the movie trying to catch up.
That being said both Declan and Musgrave have some pretty great scenes.



Rounding out the list of MIF agents is Zhen (Maggie Q).



Yep. I certainly lost the plot once she appeared on screen.....



Honestly, with all these gorgeous women running around, who can get any work get done?
Maybe that's the impossible mission in this movie? Try to do your job without getting distracted.

For me it'd be a quick fail.



Theodore Brassel (Laurence Fishburne) is also along for the ride.
I should probably mention the plot for this movie, shouldn't I?
Owen Davian (Philip Seymour Hoffman) is looking for a device known as a The Rabbit's Foot. We don't actually ever get to see The Rabbit's Foot, but that's beside the point.



Benji (Simon Pegg) is assisting the MIF agents in locating The Rabbit's Foot, and keeping track of Owen Davian.
Ricky Gervais was originally going to play the role of Benji but had to pull out due to scheduling conflicts. Personally I think Simon Pegg does a great job here.



There's also a subplot about Ethan Hunt being retired, and married to Julia (Michelle Monaghan). This all feels standard though as Julia is soon used as a hostage for Owen Davian to get what The Rabbit's Foot.
Again, not that we ever see The Rabbit's Foot.



For all I know The Rabbit's Foot could look like this!

Even still, don't let the relatively weak storyline stop you from watching what is, at the end of the day, a very cool movie.
Too bad the theme song reminds me of my high school music teacher, who played the Mission: Impossible theme music as often as humanly possible. Urgh.

My rating is 8 out of 10.
Please let me know what you think.
Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment