Monday, September 6, 2010

Interview with... Robert Benedetti

I recently had the pleasure of interviewing Robert Benedetti.
I use the term "interview" loosley as Robert read over my questions, and sent back answers to something completely different!
It was like a one-person interview!

So, without further ado here is Robert Benedetti, interviewing Robert Benedetti.



Strange that you ask about my acting, which I haven't done for 25 years. I am mainly a producer - writer, having won three Emmys, 2 Humanitas Prizes, and a Peabody Award. Wouldn't that be a better arena for questions?

I have a long history with Australia. The first film I produced was shot in Australia, at Village Road Show Studios in Surfers Paradise. It was an all-Australian cast except for the two leads, Scott Bakula and Robert Loggia. It was called MERCY MISSION and was a true airplane rescue story about an Air New Zealand flight that found and saved an American pilot in a small plane.



I also directed the Australian premiere of GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS for the Melbourne Theatre Company, and did a production of A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM for the ABC, and taught at the Victorian College of the Arts for a time, where I directed THE HOSTAGE. Last month, the Australian Shakespeare Company did my adaptation of A COMEDY OF ERRORS.

Four years ago I did a four-week workshop in Sydney with Cicely Berry of the RSC for professional actors and teachers.

John Clark, now retired from NIDA, is a dear old friend, as is Dean Carey, founder of The Actors Centre in Sydney, where I have spoken.

I generally find Australian actors to be far superior to American actors.



If you are interested in learning more about Robert I highly recommend you check out his website at www.robertbenedetti.com/
It's very interesting, as was this interview.
Thank you Robert. It was very much appreciated.

What did you think of this interview? Please comment, or email me directly at mgbouw@yahoo.com.au
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment