Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Interview with... Aaron Sims

If you've been to a good looking movie in the last few decades no doubt it's because of the art direction of Aaron Sims.
Aaron has worked as either the Art Director and/or Concept Designer for such films as Men In Black, 30 Days Of Night, I Am Legend, The Incredible Hulk, even the recent Clash Of The Titans.

So of course it gives me great pleasure to bring to you my interview with Aaron Sims.



1. Your company has handled concept designs for some of cinema's modern blockbusters. How do you feel about this?

Nothing could have prepared me for this career, which I didnt even know existed before I came out here after high school. Im just so happy to be working at what I love doing.

2. Where do you see this side of the industry in the next 5 to 10 years?

I think design will be a much more integrated part of the storytelling at an earlier stage. Also the designer may have a lot more to do with the overall process of physical and VFX creation as well. At least I hope so!

3. Which concept design has been the most rewarding for you?

I tend to fall in love with whatever Im working on at the moment - which I think a lot of artists do.

4. What advise can you give the someone wanting to get into Concept Design for the film industry?

Get to Hollywood and take whatever jobs you can. Keep working on everything you can to get that break.

5. What's coming up next for The Aaron Sims Company?

We are working away on Planet of the Apes.




That last little nugget of info, about the new Planet Of The Apes, blew my mind when I read it.

I conducted this interview on the 17th of April, which was (I believe) just before the news broke online about the new Apes movie.
At least, I hadn't read about it online until I did this interview.
So as you can imagine, I'm super excited about this new Apes movie.


Thank you VERY much to Aaron and his team at The Aaron Sims Company. I wish them all the continued success.
What did you think of this interview? Please comment, or email me directly at mgbouw@yahoo.com.au
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment