Thursday, November 18, 2010

Interview with... Steve Rowland

Sometimes you find an actor who speaks volumes about his work.
Both in front of, and behind the camera, when I asked Steve Rowland to answer a few questions I didn't realise the response I would receive.

Steve has starred in such classics as Bonanza, Battle Of The Bulge, The Life And Legend Of Wyatt Earp.
Steve has since written a book (discussed below), and can now be found on www.steverowland-action.com/




1. What is the appeal of the Western genre?

The appeal of the Western genre is as old as time itself. The good guys against the bad guys--white hats against those that wear black ones. Strong, fearless men and women fighting to protect the weak and innocent. Willing to face all adversity to protect their loved ones. and what is rightfully theirs. They are the legendary freedom fighters of the old West. They stand for everything that made America great. It's just too bad that things have changed.

2. What can you tell us about filming the TV series, The Life And Legend Of Wyatt Earp?

Although The TV show, "The Life And Legend of Wyatt Earp" was not completely factual, it was based on many recorded facts. The main concern was to direct the show in a commercial direction for the TV audience. A great deal had to be accomplished in the half hour format. We shot two episodes back to back every week. You had to arrive on the set at 6AM prepared. It was an exciting way of working in those early days of the television Western.



3. Which do you prefer, TV or film?

Both Television and Films today are practically the same. In TV you have to be prepared to work faster to get proper results. Time and cost is of the essence. Competition is steep. In TV if you don't get good ratings your show is taken off the air and another immediately goes in it's place.
In film making there's more time to get things right. If on release it doesn't do as well as expected there's always another chance to get the money back--VIDEO.
I've worked in both. I like them equally.

4. What TV shows or films are you currently watching that you enjoy?

I watch all the new crime and police shows. The darker they are, the better. Some other excellent shows are "Damages", "The Good Wife", "Sons Of Anarchy", "Dark Blue", and "Justified."

5. Can you please tell us about some work you’ve done away from Hollywood?

I lived in Europe for 43 years. For three years in Spain I worked in 4 major films--"Gunfighters Of Casa Grande", "The Thin Red Line (the original)". "Battle Of The Bulge", and "Hallucination Generation."
In 1967 I moved to London, England and went into the music business. My first three years there I became the lead singer in the pop band, "The Family Dogg."
I then turned my attention to being a record producer, producing in the region of 59 chart hits with the likes of, "Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Titch". "The Herd ( featuring Peter Frampton)", "The Family Dogg", "Sarah Brightman", "Jerry Lee Lewis" and others.In 2007 I wrote and had published my book, "Hollywood Heat-Untold Stories." It's about my 12 years in Hollywood as an actor and my involvement with many of today's biggest movie icons--Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Elvis, Steve McQueen, Natalie Wood etc.



6. What’s coming up next for you?

I am now living peacefully in the desert sun of Southern California, collecting royalties and doing various radio and TV interviews.

7. Is there an event or charity you would like to bring to my readers’ attention?

My charities are always concerned with Animal Welfare, domestic as well as wild life.



I want to thank Steve for his time on this interview.
If you want to know more about Steve, you can track down his book, Hollywood Heat - Untold Stories, on www.amazon.com/ or check out his website.

Hope you enjoyed this interview.
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment