Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Interview with... Kate Adamson

What I love about this site is that it gives me the ability to communicate with a whole range of people. Firstly I wanted to interview movie stars and celebrities. I've since gone on to interview astronauts, directors, and writers.


This interview is something special though.


For those of you not familiar with Kate's story I ask that you read, and I hope you enjoy.


My interview with Kate Adamson



1. What motivates you?



I had one in a million chances to survive from a stroke that completely paralyzed me. I could do nothing but blink my eyes and communicate with blinking to the alphabet to spell out words. So I look at life so differently now. I love being able to share my experience and touch those who are going through any kind of adversity. I also like to touch those who may not be facing adversity but feel stuck and paralyzed in their lives. I have been given a second chance at life and try to make the most of it. By focusing on others the focus is taken off me. As the saying goes, when life hands you lemons, make lemonade!

2. Were there any butterflies in your stomach the first time you spoke publically?


Yes! And I still get butterflies in my stomach but being prepared really helps, taking a deep breath and remembering it’s about the message I am there to deliver. As a kid growing up in New Zealand my parents had enrolled us in speech lessons [elocution]. During our school holidays we entered speech and drama competitions. So I guess the seed was planted a long time ago. I have a twin sister and she would start crying the minute she had to go on stage, my mother would grab me and push me out on stage. I had no time to get nervous. Fast forward 30 years and here I am back on stage in front of people.


3. What can people get from hearing you speak on motivation?


After hearing my story and how I over came complete paralysis people can then apply what I learned in their own lives by focusing on what they CAN do and not focusing on what they can’t do. My story truly motivates and inspires people.


4. I’ve never been so I thought I’d ask, what is New Zealand really like?



Well my friend, it’s a fairly quick flight for you and I remember years ago a T.V. ad showing the countryside and the words, “Don’t leave home without seeing the country first.” It is stunning with plenty to do but just as equally beautiful are the people. There’s nothing like the Kiwi’s.


5. What’s coming up next?



Right now I am recording the audio version of my book Paralyzed but not Powerless. It is exciting to record this in my own voice with a somewhat hint of a Kiwi accent. Many stroke survivors are not able to read after their stroke and this allows them to hear a story of hope and encouragement. Stroke Awareness month is fast approaching here in the United States and my calendar is full with travel.


6. Is there a particular charity you would like to bring to my readers’ attention?



I think your National Stroke Foundation in Australia. Stroke week will be from September 10th through the 16th of 2012. This is a great time to learn about stroke and know the risk factors. Usually one thinks of someone older having a stroke but many young people have strokes.




I want to thank Kate for her time during this interview. If you'd like to know more about Kate's story please check out her website at www.kateadamson.com/


you can also purchase her book online, which I recommend.



I hope you enjoyed this interview. Please comment below.
Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing and inspirational lady. With her presetations she makes such a difference in peoples lives - I have seen the results of this in our community.

    ReplyDelete